Monday, February 12, 2007

IDD 480 - I'm the next CEO

Okay, so maybe I'm not the next CEO of a design studio. Perhaps I will be down the road, but in the process of learning how to run a design studio; I have learned how they operate and now have a general idea of what it might be like in a design studio and what they are looking for in new employees. "The secret of success in running a design company is treating the people like gods." and "Always employ people who are better than you." Those two lines stood out to me. The first one makes perfect sense, employees should be treated well so they have a high morale, make good work, and hopefully stay for a while. But the second line made me think at first glance. Why would a company want to higher someone better than them? And if that's the case...I'm never going to get hired!! Well, it got explained why they would hire someone better than themselves in the reading, and I've determined that I have a lot of work ahead of me. Also discussed in that chapter was the different staff that comes with a design studio and when in general it is needed (depending on the size of the studio).

Graphic design is every where and the demand for it is constantly expanding (unless the economy isn't doing well). The book mentions signs that were neatly designed on a hiking trail in the woods. I for one, can testify that signs end up everywhere and are just as neatly designed since I have spent the last three years working for a sign shop. Typography is especially important when it comes to signs. They need to be legible, easy to read, and often from a distance. Finding work can be hard work. Utilizing one's contacts and creating a database of clients is very important. One way to obtain clients is to target companies and institutions that need design help.

When it comes time to displaying your work, it doesn't need to be in a typical black portfolio case. Today they can be in several different media forms. I, however, will hopefully have several different forms that I can use to display my portfolio. When I design my portfolio I'm going to attempt and cater it to the audience that I think will be viewing it the most. Which at the moment is potential employers. I think I'm going to go for an overall simple look to show my work. When thinking about the audience, thinking about specific companies and organizations that I would want to work for come to mind. At the moment, being a soon-to-be graduate, I'll work for almost anyone and go almost anywhere. I do have a particular type of design I would like to be doing, so that is going to narrow my search down.

One chapter said to exhaust your personal contacts when trying to find a job. So in that case, does anyone know someone that might want to potentially hire me out of school? Some places to look for other professionals in our area would be the local chapters of the AIGA. The Boston and New York chapters are probably our best bet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home